Five bucks
Two youngsters. Slim. Drunk. Armed.
- 'Do you think she carries a girl or a boy?'
- 'A boy'
- 'No way, I think is a baby girl, I am sure of that'.
- 'You are wrong and very drunk. She carries a boy', insisted one of them.
- 'I bet you five bucks the baby she has in her belly is a girl'.
- 'Okey, let's see'.
They shot her in the head, opened her stomach with a knife and rejoiced at their finding. 'You see, it is a girl, give me the five bucks'.
Sierra Leona, only 10 years ago. This story was explained to me by the school professor of these two youngsters, today an official at the Central Bank of that country. He is proud of his new country, the democratic election, the new mood but I see the trauma and shame in his eyes, I see he is wondering what did he do wrong.
Comments