Intercultural sensitivity

When traveling to a Muslim country there are some things that you should not do and others you should be ready for. I managed to do many of the wrong things in a short Saturday morning. Hence, the one in the picture above is merigoingaround.
  • Woke up. 30 degrees outside. What to wear, a simple tank top with an apparently too conspicuous cleavage. WROOONG. Showing boobs and shoulders in a small village of 2000 inhabitants is not interculturally sensitive.
  • Village time. Walked around with the villagers. Glanced at potatoes fields, men, many unemployed young men. Got interested in their economic activity. Eco-tourism might work, I think. They indicated they have some cows and sheep. Do you have pigs? I asked. WROOONG.
  • Lunch time. Sweet villagers preparing a two-course meal based on roast chicken and couscous. Me wants to go to the ladies' room. No ladies' room, just lots of fields. I like that, reminds me of my summers. Lady of the house indicates I better go to the place where they house their cows. Me goes there. No toilet paper, just boiled water. WROOONG. Not a good feeling to put boiled water in certain parts of your body.
  • Still lunch time. Chicken. Coucous. Moroccan delicacies. Eat as much as you want, why not? you are the guest and they basically want to feed you until you explode. Ate with two hands after boiling bathroom drama. WROOONG.

Comments

Cake said…
ah ah ah! you made me laugh ;o)

Are u visiting Marocco/Hugo or working there?

Beso!
Suela Thanasi said…
Meri.. your self-irony is just adorable. Keep writing please! HUgs from Tirana!

Popular posts from this blog

Yaka Yele - Just come to the Farm

Detox or how to make your life miserable

Grigri