Classy Paris and some bloody sweet memories

That the French are crazy about their food is no news. But to sympathize with their habit of eating the inside parts of animals, the tripes and so on...needs longer than the short half a year I have been here. Or another dinner at my friends' terrace.




It might be very refined to eat those parts of the animal anatomy but in my country they are used to produce fibers for instruments or as a coat for chorizos. I have very sweet memories of my childhood winters in my grandma's village...the ritual of killing the pig (la matanza) and producing chorizos and ham; when I think about this twice now I reckon I should be a traumatized (and vegetarian) adult. La matanza is probably the least child-friendly activity you can think of.

I am going to avoid describing how they sacrifice pigs in rural Spain for the sake of keeping my friends reading me and this posting free of digressions. I admire how the French eat viscera in a classy, refined, different way. From my friends' Matt&Mich terrace and magnificent savoir faire...the tripes yesterday night were more like tender filet mignon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yaka Yele - Just come to the Farm

Detox or how to make your life miserable

Grigri