About Americans

In the four years I lived in the US I don't think I met a really dummy American. Not even traveling across redneck areas blatantly stupid people came across. In the ten years I've been abroad I only befriended mostly witty, cultured Americanos. Those who were and are representing Bush Foreign Policy abroad are everything but dummy. They hate criticizing American Foreign Policy, it is like sweet and sour pork sauce...On the one hand Yes, "I am a diplomat. Sweet"...On the other..No..."I am a diplomat of this disastrous administration". Still...I do NOT know stupid Americans.

So...where are the Palin lovers? Is she truly considered a maverick by many Americans?

I can understand how her style is enticing to the patriotism that runs inside e.v.e.r.y American (dumb and diplomat, both). I do. Yes, Yes...God Bless America, Good Old America, America's role in spreading democracy, the Founding Fathers...and all those Greeeat things. However, beyond the patriotism, can those Americans who I haven't had the pleasure of meeting just see that the lady is unfitted, unqualified and unprepared to govern their Greeeeat nation?

A friend, americano himself, says that contrary to Europe, his fellow citizens are not ready for intellectually-looking presidents (referring to Obama, of course), presidents with answers to questions and not mumbling answers of grammatically incorrect words ending with an effusive 'what a heck'. He might be right.

My grandma did not know how to read or write but when she watched political debates on TV she would always say "This candidate talks better than these other candidate". She could perfectly identify the candidate that was there to gain the sympathies of the masses with a "Viva Espanya" and the candidate that had something to propose, such as a higher pension for widows, in a simple, clear language.

Viva America is not enough.

Comments

Peter said…
Dear Meritxell,

Just like yourself, I work in the humanitarian sector. Since a while, I have been following your blog
and I featured it in in my two blogs:
http://www.theroadtothehorizon.org and http://theotherworldnews.blogspot.com .

This week, I started an aggregator for aidblogs you can find at http://aidblogs.tumblr.com

The goal is to aggregate (via your RSS feed) a summary blogposts from aidworkers like us, into one single blog, so people can have an easy overview, and link easily to your blog.
I only display a summary (as a teaser), if people want to read your full blogpost, they have to click on the title, and they will be forwarded to your blog.

If you don't agree, and would like me to remove your blog, just drop me an email at peter(at)theroadtothehorizon(dot)org

If, on the other hand, you know of other interesting and active aidblogs, let me know also.

I wish you the best of luck with your work, and wish you safe travels.

Best regards,
Peter

Popular posts from this blog

Yaka Yele - Just come to the Farm

Detox or how to make your life miserable

Grigri