Lola says...
Today I have decided to change the name of my blog. I was first txelly, then meritirana and after that merigringa.blogspot.com. I was doubting between iamlola.blogspot.com and merigoesaround.blogspot.com
Why Lola now? I am Lola because I want to. Full stop. I am sometimes Lola when I look at the world, when I observe what I like and dislike. After 4 years blogging I know that my opinionated alter ego sees the world from an unique and witty perspective. Lola's.
This is not a pseudonym it is one part of Meritxell. We all have a part of us that would like to be different and speak out and loud, that's my Lola.
In practical terms, I have used the name Lola in many occasions in many different settings so it feels a little bit like myself. The conversation goes like this:
-What would you like to have today?
-A tall no foam non-fat vanilla soy latte
-Can I have your name?
-Meritxell
-Sorry, Marychef?
-Meri
-Maaary?
-Nop, just M-e-r-i
-Ok, Maary.
-Wait a sec, Lola, my name is Lola.
Or another one:
-I would like to schedule an appointment with Dr. X
-Your name, please
-Meritxell Martinez
-Sorry, Maryexcel Martines
-Nop, just Lola please
Or a random one the other day at the airport when a friend scheduled my pick up:
-Matrix (the driver)
-Yeaaaap, that's me.
Meritxell though is my name and I would not like people calling me Lola. Reading and understanding my Lola would be more than enough. My mum chose that name and it took my grandma 20 years to learn how to pronounce it. I think she died not knowing how cool the spelling of my name is. People tend to write it the Spanish way, Merichel, but nai, nai, this is a very Catalan name and it should be spelled with "TX". It is not at all original or unique though, 2 of my friends are Meritxells.
My mum tried to integrate in the Catalan culture from her arrival to Catalonia (differently from many, many other people, including relatives of mine who have lived and earned in Catalonia for more than 50 years and don't speak a word of Catalan), I have explained how much I admire my parents for this many times...naming their second daughter Meritxell seemed to be a good idea. My initials are totally irresistible MMM...
I was baptized in a small, very small rural village in Spain and the (Spanish) priest told my mum that he would not give me baptism because the name chosen was not Catholic. I am sure there was no wireless connection in that village and my mum did not know how to wiki...but she somehow showed the priest that Meritxell is a (black) Catholic virgin with her sanctuary in Andorra. The priest insisted that Meritxell should be a combination of Mary+Cielo (heaven)...the rumor spread through the village and for most of my childhood I had to stand other kids and relatives calling me Mary from Heaven.
Today, I am Meri or Meritxell. Here, I'll be sometimes Lola looking at my own life (like I just did) at others and at the world.
(Note, I have surveyed the two choices among friends...and merigoesaround is the winner)
Why Lola now? I am Lola because I want to. Full stop. I am sometimes Lola when I look at the world, when I observe what I like and dislike. After 4 years blogging I know that my opinionated alter ego sees the world from an unique and witty perspective. Lola's.
This is not a pseudonym it is one part of Meritxell. We all have a part of us that would like to be different and speak out and loud, that's my Lola.
In practical terms, I have used the name Lola in many occasions in many different settings so it feels a little bit like myself. The conversation goes like this:
-What would you like to have today?
-A tall no foam non-fat vanilla soy latte
-Can I have your name?
-Meritxell
-Sorry, Marychef?
-Meri
-Maaary?
-Nop, just M-e-r-i
-Ok, Maary.
-Wait a sec, Lola, my name is Lola.
Or another one:
-I would like to schedule an appointment with Dr. X
-Your name, please
-Meritxell Martinez
-Sorry, Maryexcel Martines
-Nop, just Lola please
Or a random one the other day at the airport when a friend scheduled my pick up:
-Matrix (the driver)
-Yeaaaap, that's me.
Meritxell though is my name and I would not like people calling me Lola. Reading and understanding my Lola would be more than enough. My mum chose that name and it took my grandma 20 years to learn how to pronounce it. I think she died not knowing how cool the spelling of my name is. People tend to write it the Spanish way, Merichel, but nai, nai, this is a very Catalan name and it should be spelled with "TX". It is not at all original or unique though, 2 of my friends are Meritxells.
My mum tried to integrate in the Catalan culture from her arrival to Catalonia (differently from many, many other people, including relatives of mine who have lived and earned in Catalonia for more than 50 years and don't speak a word of Catalan), I have explained how much I admire my parents for this many times...naming their second daughter Meritxell seemed to be a good idea. My initials are totally irresistible MMM...
I was baptized in a small, very small rural village in Spain and the (Spanish) priest told my mum that he would not give me baptism because the name chosen was not Catholic. I am sure there was no wireless connection in that village and my mum did not know how to wiki...but she somehow showed the priest that Meritxell is a (black) Catholic virgin with her sanctuary in Andorra. The priest insisted that Meritxell should be a combination of Mary+Cielo (heaven)...the rumor spread through the village and for most of my childhood I had to stand other kids and relatives calling me Mary from Heaven.
Today, I am Meri or Meritxell. Here, I'll be sometimes Lola looking at my own life (like I just did) at others and at the world.
(Note, I have surveyed the two choices among friends...and merigoesaround is the winner)
Comments