Kunjum Kunjum

Before coming I knew about India's linguistic diversity...but only when you have to decode a survey from Tamil to English you understand the language intricacies of this big chunk of the world. A quick wiki visit tells me that India has more than 150 languages. In Spain we have four official languages and we argue, here you might not be able to communicate with your neighbor and still harmony seems to rule.

Tamil sounds to me very peaceful. Some languages have guttural sounds that are rather unpleasant. I only know five words by now:

"Ile" = No
"Nanri" = Thank you
"Wanabe" = Hello
"Kunjum Kunjum" = A little bit
"Poni" = I am full, or enough.

Carnatic songs in Tamil, I believe it is like traditional folk songs, make me feel goosebumps from head to toe.

Work is pretty slow at the moment, lots of people at the office traveling from Thanjavur to Chennai and other places. My remittances project looks like a unreceived wire from Dubai right now! But I'll get by.

Comments

Unknown said…
love the post. The last line made me fall off my chair. Poni = girl, Porum = enough/stop

Popular posts from this blog

Yaka Yele - Just come to the Farm

Detox or how to make your life miserable

Grigri