Generations

Today I surprised myself with the thought that my grandma was born in 1906. Or sometime in those first years of the last century. She died 18 months ago. The truth is that when she had time to celebrate her birthday she was too old and she had forgotten the year she had been born.

No official documents were available at the local council.


I think I realized too late how important it is to find out more about our grandparents. I listened to endless adult conversation while I was a child. I liked to be among adults. However, I only started valuing the importance of knowing how life was during the 1930s, 40s....at the age of 17. Je regrette.

My mum turned 57 today. She still has 2 or 3 decades of life ahead. Promise: I will listen to her stories about the 1970s and 80s and record them in my brain.

One thing I am sure, my grandma would have never imagined in her long life her picture would be posted online.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yaka Yele - Just come to the Farm

Detox or how to make your life miserable

Grigri