I sold a lemon

After a year and a half holding the back-to-school status, this semester I decided to take my first 'soft skills' class.
Soft skill= cheap psychology classes. Hard skills=anything quantitative or academically solid.
The choice is turning out to be a quite interesting cultural exchange. In my negotiation class at MIT I am learning how to negotiate with Americans, with Asians, with Europeans...
The other day, in one of the exercises, I sold a land to a Korean student for $150.000 and I thought I had screwed him, "what a good deal", I told myself. Wroooong. It was just a so, so deal. Despite the poor communication skills of the Korean student, he managed to negotiate a price that was good for him. I thought, 'woao, I beated him'. Wrrrong. With Tao, another Asian students, things went much better...I sold him an old car for 3 times my minimum selling price.
Americans are more conciliatory. They generally want to be nice. How overused the word 'nice' is in this country.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yaka Yele - Just come to the Farm

Detox or how to make your life miserable

Grigri