Poorer than expected

I haven't devoted any post to my visit to "Hugo L'Africain". I was in Benin recently. Apart from the terrific safari with a bunch of funny Quebecois, the culinary richness of Cotonou, the good times bodyboarding and watching how Hot Hugo practices surf and the colonial lifestyle of yobos (whites)...I was ashamed by the level of poverty in that corner of Africa.
In my mind, I thought the documentaries I watched in those long boring Sunday afternoons of my Spanish adolescence selected the worst places in Africa, the most impoverished ones, portraying how appalling poverty and misery are. But hey, no...it was not a selection...it is pretty much like that all around. What makes me wonder..where is the money? where are the thousands of millions of donor's money? I think I have the answer to this question. And sometimes I wish I didn't.

Picture of Benin's gas station in this post. Many more here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/meritxell

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yaka Yele - Just come to the Farm

Detox or how to make your life miserable

Grigri